Learn About Your Destination
- Safety and Security Information by Country (U.S. Department of State)
- Current List of Countries/Regions with Level 3 or 4 Travel Advisories (GPS Alliance)
- Technology Considerations When Traveling to China (GPS Alliance)
Processing times for new and renewing passports by the U.S. Department of State have increased, and travelers should plan well in advance if they need a new or renewed passport. Keep in mind, as well, that many countries will not allow you to use a passport that expires within six months of the travel date.
- The U.S. Department of State maintains country-specific information that includes requirements for passports, visas, and other travel documentation.
- The University of Minnesota does not provide services or support for obtaining a country-specific visa, as the rules and requirements change frequently and each travelers situation is unique. It is recommended that University travelers use a visa-processing service. Visas and processing fees are an allowable business expense; however, you should confirm with your finance staff because some funding sources have restrictions.
- Photos for country-specific visas can be obtained at the passport acceptance offices on the Twin Cities and Duluth campuses or at certain local passport offices.
Travel Outside the U.S. for International Students
Don't Pack a Pest
The Don't Pack a Pest program helps to education international travelers about the risks associated with bringing certain types of food, plants, and agricultural items into the United States. Information includes examples of prohibited items and how to declare items at the border.