Emergencies Abroad

Others to Contact in an Emergency

  • Contact onsite staff or partners (if applicable). 
  • Contact your University emergency contact, if the onsite staff is not doing so or if you are not working with onsite staff.
  • Contact your personal emergency contact to update them on your situation or to let them know you are safe.
  • All University travelers may call the University's international emergency phone number at 1-612-301-CALL (2255). Callers will be connected to the appropriate 24-7 University emergency contact person to assist with their emergency.*
  • Travelers may also want to contact the nearest U.S. consulate or embassy. You can find information on what the U.S. Department of State can do in the case of an emergency on their website.

In the event of a political, social, or natural emergency, the University's International Health, Safety, and Compliance team will be in close contact with the education abroad offices, 24-7 University support contacts, and each traveler who may be impacted. Where necessary, the University will coordinate with our travel medical and security insurance provider to respond to individual and group emergencies.

*Note that missed scholarship deadlines, delayed or canceled flights, personal communication issues, and non-emergency international insurance questions are NOT considered emergencies. Please contact the appropriate University unit during regular business hours.