Graduate Assistants, Residents, Fellows, and Students

The University’s Education Abroad policy policy requires students including undergraduate, graduate, and professional degree; medical residents; fellows; and graduate assistants traveling abroad for University purposes1 to register their travel, which will also cover them with the required international health, security, medical and evacuation insurance. This includes international students or other non-U.S. citizens traveling for University purposes to their home country.

How to Register

1. Prepare required information

Before starting a travel registration, be sure you have all of the required information:

  • Program or activity details including dates*
  • Location(s) of travel, including city and country
  • Dates of travel
  • Personal emergency contact in the U.S., including name, email, and phone
  • University emergency contact in the U.S., including name, email, and phone (see responsibilities)
  • EFS number and name of finance contact (if your unit has agreed to pay for your insurance coverage) 

​​​​​​​* Note that the University's required insurance coverage is provided for the duration of the program or activity dates. Travelers are covered up to 5 days before and 5 days after activity dates to allow for incidental travel to the location. The University's insurance policy does not cover personal or non-University travel.

2. Submit your travel registry

Choose the correct registration link below depending on the type of program or activity you are participating in.

3. Complete the remaining policy requirements

After submitting your registration you will receive an email with information on how to complete the remaining policy requirements:

  • Complete the online health and safety orientation
  • Upload the student release and waiver to the education abroad system
  • Provide a copy of your U.S. health insurance card (if applicable)

Select One:

Questions about Registering My Travel

Expand all

Questions about Registering My Travel

I am a fellow, graduate assistant, resident, or teaching assistant. Which travel registry should I use?

You must register your travel using the Student International Travel Registry (see links above on this page). Post-docs should register in the Faculty/Staff Registry.

Why am I required to register my travel and complete the Canvas course?

You must register your travel and complete the Canvas course to meet the requirements of University policy. Registering will allow you to obtain the required international health, security, medical and evacuation insurance through On Call International, and the Canvas course will better prepare you for a safe trip abroad.

Why is my checklist showing up as incomplete?

Your Canvas Course completion and Release & Waiver upload are reviewed during normal business hours (M-F, 8:00-4:30 p.m. CST). Your checklist items will be marked as complete at that time.

Who should I select as a UMN Emergency Contact?

You should choose someone employed by the University of Minnesota who knows you and knows about your travel plans, such as a professor or a department supervisor. Remember to ask this person for approval. See more about serving as an emergency contact.

Why am I getting an error message when uploading my Release & Waiver?

We are aware of an occasional issue where a false error message is displayed. If you receive an error message, please contact to confirm your Release & Waiver was successfully uploaded.

What if I want to travel to a Level 3 or 4 travel advisory location?

University policy requires special permission from the University’s International Travel Risk Assessment and Advisory Committee (ITRAAC) prior to student travel to countries or regions designated a U.S. Department of State Travel Advisory Level 3 or 4 (see current list of advisories).

Students should begin by contacting the education abroad office on their campus. If you are not working with an education abroad office, contact Kevin Dostal Dauer.

What is the UMN International Emergency Number?

UMN travelers abroad may contact the 24/7 International Emergency Number at 612-301-2255 (612-301-CALL). Collect calls will be accepted.

Questions about Insurance

Expand all

Questions about Insurance

If I have UMN insurance, do I need to purchase the mandatory international insurance coverage?

All students must purchase the mandatory international insurance coverage, including students traveling to their country of citizenship, whenever they are traveling for university purposes. 

How much does the mandatory international insurance coverage cost?

Cost per person is $2/day.

What method of payment is accepted for the mandatory international insurance coverage?

The mandatory international insurance coverage is billed to your student account. It can be charged to an EFS account string, if your department is sponsoring your travel (approval is needed).

When will I get my insurance card?

A link to your insurance card will be included in your confirmed travel registration email after you have completed the online orientation, uploaded your release and waiver, and (if applicable) obtained ITRAAC approval.

Can I purchase supplemental insurance for personal travel before or after my University-purpose travel?

It is our standard practice to enroll travelers in the mandatory international insurance coverage for a maximum of five (5) days before the start of their University-purpose program/activity and up to five (5) days after the end of their program/activity to ensure coverage during travel to or from the host country.

Students who wish to purchase a supplementary insurance plan for additional personal travel days before or after the University-enrolled days can do so through  through a subsidiary of On Call International: World Trips. The University does not have a relationship with nor has the University vetted this company or its products. 

Where can I find information about insurance and COVID-19?

Please review Frequently Asked Questions about COVID-19 and the University's insurance coverage.

1The term “University purposes” refers to travel that is affiliated with the University in any way. This includes, but is not limited to, travel funded by the University or where credit is awarded or degree requirements are fulfilled (e.g., work, internships, field study, research, etc. including non-credit degree requirements), volunteering, conference or workshop attendance, athletic events, and Campus Life Program activities abroad. Travel with a Registered Student Organization (RSO), that is not otherwise funded or supported by the University, and personal travel such as a vacation is NOT for University purposes.