The Josef Mestenhauser Student Award for Excellence in Campus Internationalization recognizes outstanding student contributions to international education. It acknowledges important work being done by students at the University of Minnesota to internationalize the curriculum and campus.
The Mestenhauser Student Award honors Dr. Josef Mestenhauser, Distinguished International Emeritus Professor, recognizing his long career of advocacy for and commitment to students.
Award Details and Nomination Materials
Nominees must demonstrate:
- a strong commitment to international education and broadening international understanding at the University of Minnesota or the community at large.
- active involvement in programs and activities that contribute to the University of Minnesota's mission of fostering global competence and developing global citizens.
Undergraduate, professional, and graduate students in good academic standing from any discipline from all five campuses at the University of Minnesota are eligible to be nominated for the award. Nominees must be registered for full-time study.
Faculty members, administrators, staff, or other students may nominate eligible students by submitting the following materials:
- a brief nomination letter (200-500 words)
- a brief statement from the student outlining how he or she demonstrates the established award criteria (one page max)
- a copy of the student's resume or C.V.
- a nomination cover sheet, completed by the student; this form requires two references (reference information from family members or high school references not accepted)
Nominations cannot come from staff within the Global Programs and Strategy Alliance. Please submit nomination materials to firstname.lastname@example.org by February 20, 2023.
Up to two monetary awards will be given in the amount of $500 each. Awards will be processed as a scholarship to the recipients' student accounts (please note that this may have an effect on financial aid).
Award recipients will be asked to prepare a digital story that highlights their engagement with internationalization at the University of Minnesota. Students will be supported and provided the necessary resources in the production of their digital stories.
Please contact email@example.com with questions.