Faculty, Staff, and Post-Docs

The University's Travel Policy requires all faculty, staff, and post-docs traveling abroad for University purposes to register their travel.

Before starting a travel registration for yourself or someone else, be sure you have all of the required information. You will need:

  • Location(s) of travel, including city and country
  • Dates of travel
  • Personal emergency contact, including name, email, and phone
  • University emergency contact, including name, email, and phone (see responsibilities)

Register Faculty/Staff Travel


Questions about the Travel Registry

Expand all

Questions about the Travel Registry

Why do I need to register my travel?

The University's Travel Policy requires all faculty and staff traveling abroad for University purposes to register their travel. This is NOT an approval process. For more details, please visit the "Traveling on Business FAQ." 

I am a fellow, graduate assistant, resident, or teaching assistant. Which travel registry should I use?

You must register your travel using the Student International Travel Registry. Post-docs should register in the Faculty/Staff Registry.

What if I need to change my itinerary or insurance dates?

Please email travelregistry@umn.edu with your request.

What is the Travel Registration ID?

The Travel Registration ID is a confirmation code that will be required when submitting a travel expense report through Chrome River. The Travel Registration ID connects your travel registration to your expense report for compliance verification.

What is the UMN International Emergency Number?

UMN travelers abroad may contact the 24/7 International Emergency Number at 612-301-2255 (612-301-CALL). Collect calls will be accepted.

Questions about insurance

Expand all

Questions about insurance

Is there a cost for On Call International (OCI) insurance?

All university-purpose travel by faculty and staff is now provided without cost to the department or individual traveler.

When will I get my insurance card?

A link to the insurance coverage card will be emailed to you along with your travel registry confirmation. Use that link to download the document. 

If you are experiencing an overseas emergency, contact On Call for assistance. University faculty, staff and students are not required to have a card on hand for services.

Can I purchase insurance for personal travel?

Coverage for personal travel can be arrange through a subsidiary of On Call International: World Trips. The University does not have a relationship with nor has the University vetted this company or its products. 

Can I obtain coverage for my dependents when they accompany on trips for University business?

Yes. To cover dependent(s) or a spouse or domestic partner, you will need to Start a New Registration as Faculty or Staff and then select the button "For Someone Else" to enter their information as a Personal Guest. You will need all of their personal and trip information. If they have their own email address, enter that personal email address for them and their coverage confirmation will be sent there.