Insurance for Personal or Non-University Travel

The University's policy with CISI insurance does not cover personal or non-University travel*. Note that all faculty and staff covered by the University's basic life insurance plan have coverage through Redpoint.

*If your personal travel is connected to University-purpose travel and you have received CISI insurance for that travel, you can use the CISI portal to purchase a supplementary plan for your personal travel dates.

The University of Minnesota does not endorse nor recommend any insurance company for personal travel or non-University related travel; however, the University recommends adequate insurance for international travel. 

Advice and Questions to Consider

Expand all

Advice and Questions to Consider

Travel Medical Insurance

Benefits of a travel medical insurance plan for the time you will be out of the country may include doctor visits, emergency room care, prescriptions, emergency dental coverage, emergency medical evacuation, repatriation of remains, and accidental death or dismemberment benefits. Travelers should consider their non-medical travel insurance needs as well, such as travel and liability insurance. 

You should start by contacting your U.S. health insurance company to understand any international benefits you might already have and inquire about additional options for international insurance packages. When traveling abroad, do not cancel your U.S coverage!

Questions to Consider:

  1. What is the dollar limit of the amount of coverage provided for various services? 
  2. Does the plan include:
    • hospitalization? 
    • ambulance costs? 
    • emergency room expenses? 
    • visits to the doctor? 
    • prescriptions? 
    • medical evacuation? 
    • repatriation of remains? 
    • security assistance/evacuation?
    • other non-medical benefits such as baggage loss or trip cancelation? 
  3. In the case of a serious illness or accident, is there coverage for a family member or close friend to travel to the country to be with me? 
  4. Do I need to pay expenses up front and then submit receipts to the insurance company for reimbursement? 
  5. What documentation of expenses is required? Does the bill need to be in English and the amount of the charges in U.S. dollars? 
  6. Does the plan exclude any coverage that I need (e.g., adventure sports, pre-existing conditions, special medical needs)? 
  7. Are there multilingual staff members available for translating if needed while I am abroad?

Travel/Trip Insurance

Travel insurance must be purchased on an individual basis and is not generally provided or reimbursable by the University of Minnesota. Common coverage includes: 

  1. Trip cancellation and trip interruption insurance usually provides reimbursement for unused, non-refundable prepaid travel expenses in the event of trip cancellation or interruption. Students, staff, and faculty are encouraged to consider supplemental insurance options to cover losses if programs or activities are canceled. Supplemental insurance is also helpful if you need to cancel your participation in a program or return early due to unforeseen personal emergencies.
  2. Baggage insurance usually provides reimbursement for loss, theft, or damage to baggage or personal effects. Some baggage insurance policies also provide reimbursement of expenses incurred due to lost baggage such as the purchase of clothes or other items. 
  3. Theft insurance usually provides coverage for the replacement costs of items stolen while abroad, such as a passport or camera.

Liability Insurance

Travelers should consider purchasing liability insurance prior to departure, which will provide coverage for any damage to property and lost or stolen items while overseas as well as damage to other's property for which you are liable. Your homeowner's insurance or rental insurance may also provide coverage or will be able to assist you in obtaining such coverage.