International Research Conference
February 17, 2012
Coffman Memorial Union
The Global Programs and Strategy Alliance sponsored the inaugural international research conference on Addressing Global Challenges through International Research. The University of Minnesota has the resources and expertise to address many of the world’s challenges and opportunities, from economics to sustainable energy. As a land-grant institution, the University’s mission is to generate knowledge through research, and share this knowledge and innovations to help build a healthier, sustainable world.
This conference highlighted global research by University of Minnesota faculty, researchers, and graduate students and encouraged discussion on diverse global challenges, with a focus on building collaboration across disciplines, shared learning, and exploring the essentials of conducting research abroad.
Food Security and Agriculture Production • Education • Global Health
• Energy and the Environment • Economics and Poverty • Global Governance
Viewing U.S. Science from Across the Atlantic: Some Lessons Learned from Four Years in Europe
David M. Stonner, Ph.D.; executive officer in the Office of International Science and Engineering at the National Science Foundation. Read more about Dr. Stonner.
Global U Forum
How should global governance shape the international research agenda? What are the opportunities and where are the gaps in solving problems on a global scale?
- Eric P. Schwartz, Dean, Humphrey School of Public Affairs, Moderator
- Abdi Samatar, Professor, Geography, CLA
- Chandy John M.D., Professor, Global Pediatrics, Medical School
- Karen Seashore, Regents Professor, Organizational Leadership, Policy, and Development, CEHD
- Marla Spivak, Distinguished McKnight Professor in Entomology, CFANS
Closing Plenary: Afternoon Forum
Addressing Global Challenges through Private and Public Partnerships
- Meredith McQuaid, Dean and Associate Vice President for International Programs, Moderator
- David M. Stonner, Ph.D.; Executive Officer in the Office of International Science and Engineering at the National Science Foundation
- Mike Hess, Vice President, Innovation Excellence, Medtronic, Inc.
- Linda Valeri, MBA, Chief Operating Officer, Global Initiative for Food Systems Leadership, University of Minnesota
- Jane Maland Cady, Director, International Program, The McKnight Foundation
- Tom Verdoorn, Vice President, Land O' Lakes International Development