2012-14: South Asia and Global Food Security
The areas of focus for the 2012-14 biennium were the region of South Asia and the issue of Global Food Security.
Events & Activities
Over the course of two years, the Global Spotlight engaged in planning and co-sponsoring symposias, conferences, lectures, film screenings, and cultural events to educate and inform the campus and local community about the University’s work in the areas of South Asia and Global Food Security.
The Global Spotlight provided $700,000 in four grant programs to support faculty and graduate student research as well as strengthen research partnerships with institutions abroad.
The 2012-14 Global Spotlight was led by Dr. Karen Brown, assistant vice president for international scholarship and co-director of the Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Global Change (ICGC).
The Global Spotlight Advisory Committee is composed of nominated faculty from across the University system who are experts respectively in the areas of South Asia and/or the issues surrounding Global Food Security.
- Nina Asher, Curriculum & Instruction, College of Liberal Arts, Twin Cities
- Anu Ramaswami, Science, Technology and Environmental Policy, Humphrey School of Public Affairs, Twin Cities
- Jennifer Rothchild, Sociology, Division of Social Sciences, Morris
- Simona Sawhney, Asian Languages & Literatures, College of Liberal Art, Twin Cities
- Ajay Skaria, History, College of Liberal Arts, Twin Cities
Global Food Security:
- Jeff Bender, Veterinary Population Medicine, College of Veterinary Medicine, Twin Cities
- Laura Bloomberg, Center for Integrative Leadership, Humphrey School of Public Affairs, Twin Cities
- Runa Das, Political Science, College of Liberal Arts, Duluth
- Lewis Gilbert, Institute on the Environment, Office of the Vice President for Research, Twin Cities
- Craig Hedberg, Environmental Health Sciences, School of Public Health, Twin Cities
- Marti Kubik, Population Health and Systems, School of Nursing, Twin Cities
- Harouna Maiga, Animal Science, Center for Agriculture & Natural Resources, Crookston
- Paul Porter, Agronomy & Plant Genetics, College of Food, Agricultural & Natural Resource Sciences, Twin Cities
- Terry Roe, Applied Economics, College of Food, Agricultural & Natural Resources Sciences, Twin Cities
- Rachel Schurman, Sociology, College of Liberal Arts, Twin Cities
- Kingshuk K. Sinha, Supply Chain & Operations, Carlson School of Management, Twin Cities
Last updated in 2014.
Global Food Supply:
University and Local Resources
Last updated in 2014.