2010-12: Latin America and Urbanization
The areas of focus for the 2009-10 biennium were the region of Latin America and the Caribbean and the issue of the Impact of Urbanization.
Events & Activities
Over the course of two years, the Global Spotlight engaged in planning and co-sponsoring symposias, conferences, lectures, film screenings, and cultural events, as well as the 2Tuesday lunchtime series, to educate and inform the campus and local community about the University’s work in the areas of Latin America and urbanization.
The Global Spotlight provided $500,000 in four grant programs to support faculty and graduate student research as well as strengthen research partnerships with institutions abroad.
The 2010-12 Global Spotlight was led by Dr. John L. Romano, professor of educational psychology, who was serving then as assistant vice president for international scholarship.
The Global Spotlight Advisory Committee is composed of nominated faculty from across the University system who are experts respectively in the areas of Latin America and the Caribbean and/or the issues surrounding urbanization.
- David Andow, Professor: Entomology, CFANS, Twin Cities
- Karen Brown, Co-Director: Interdisciplinary Center for the Study of Global Change, Twin Cities
- Greta Friedman-Sanchez, Assistant Professor: Humphrey School of Public Affairs, Twin Cities
- Edward Goetz, Professor: Humphrey School of Public Affairs, Twin Cities
- Benjamin Ibarra-Sevilla, Assistant Professor: Architecture, College of Design, Twin Cities
- Arne Kildegaard, Professor: Economics & Management, Social Sciences, Morris
- Kendall King, Associate Professor: Curriculum & Instruction, CEHD, Twin Cities
- Dario Menanteau, Professor: Social Work, CEHD, Twin Cities
- Rebecca Montgomery, Assistant Professor: Forest Resources, CFANS, Twin Cities
- Mark Pedelty, Associate Professor: Journalism & Mass Communications, CLA, Twin Cities
- Raquel Rodriguez, Assistant Professor: Pharmaceutical Care & Health Systems, College of Pharmacy, Twin Cities
- Ignacio San Martin, Professor: Architecture, College of Design, Twin Cities
- Fan Yingling, Assistant Professor: Humphrey School of Public Affairs, Twin Cities
- Eileen Zeitz, Professor (retired): Foreign Language & Literature, CLA, Duluth
Last updated in 2012.