Funding for International Activities

Graduate Students

Funding Administered by the GPS Alliance

Walter H. Judd International Graduate & Professional Fellowships
Deadline: 4:30 p.m. on February 9, 2018

Fellowships for students enrolled in master's and professional degree programs to study, undertake internships, and conduct research projects abroad.

Alexander Dubcek Fund
Deadline: Rolling

Grants to support study, internship, and research opportunities in Eastern European countries.

Other Sources of Funding and Information

Fulbright program
The purpose of the Fulbright program is to increase mutual understanding between people of the United States and other countries through the exchange of persons, knowledge, and skills. Students pursuing a graduate degree at the University of Minnesota must apply through the Graduate School Fellowship Office.

Learning Abroad Center's Study Abroad Scholarship
A portion of funds for the Study Abroad Scholarship are open to graduate and professional students.

Learning Abroad Center scholarship and grant search
The Learning Abroad Center's searchable scholarship database includes opportunities for study, intern, work, and volunteer abroad. Includes opportunities for graduate students.

Graduate School Fellowship Office
Funding offered through the University's Graduate School.

University Honors Program
Serves students and recent graduates from all colleges at the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities in applying for scholarships at the national and international level, including two graduate-level international grants—the Marshall Scholarships and the Rhodes Scholarships.

Upper Midwest Human Rights Fellowship Program
The Human Rights Center encourages residents of the Upper Midwest—including students, teachers, lawyers, health professionals, community leaders and others—to undertake practical experiences/internships in human rights organizations. This fellowship program is designed to promote social justice by providing practical training in the varied aspects of human rights work worldwide.

Sponsored Programs Information Network (SPIN)
SPIN is an interactive database containing sponsored funding information. Take advantage of the University of Minnesota's subscription to this service and find the funding you need.

Office of the Vice President for Research
Information about searching for research funding and access to searchable databases for research funding.

Planning Research Abroad

Planning student research abroad
This guide from the GPS Alliance is designed to help graduate students plan for and find funding for independent research and dissertation-level research outside the United States.

Travel Resources

Travel to countries on the State Department warning list
Information about obtaining permission from the University's International Travel Risk Assessment and Advisory Committee to travel to a country on the State Department travel warning list.

Mandatory international travel, health, and security insurance
Learn about the insurance requirements for traveling abroad for University purposes.